Monday, February 20, 2023

Review: The Catacombs Of St. Callixtus History Archaeology Faith

The Catacombs Of St. Callixtus History   Archaeology   Faith The Catacombs Of St. Callixtus History Archaeology Faith by Antonio Baruffa
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is another one of the guidebooks, I'm re-reading in preparation for a return to Italy in March. This one deals with the Christian Catacombs along the Appian way, identified with Pope Callixtus I. Baruffa gives a pretty comprehensive look at these catacombs and of the Christian art found within it. In particular, he focuses on the initial excavations by De Rossi, who he quotes extensively. He goes literally room by room, outlining both the art and the inscriptions, giving details on who was buried there, in so far as he can. It is a very detailed account and useful for understanding the full scope of the book.

But two caveats:
First, the detail is pretty fine grained. That is, he literally talks about every inscription, every painting, which I found a little overwhelming. Some inscriptions have next to no information about them, so that can be confusing.

Second, the tone is relentlessly Catholic. Now, that isn't really a problem for me, as a Christian, I can resonate with it, but I note it for readers of my reviews who are not. The reverential tone can be off putting, I think, so be ready for it.

However, this is an important book on the Christian catacombs and helps illuminate Christian burial practices in antiquity, the make-up of the Church in Rome in the early Christian period and gives a clear impression of Christian art of that era.

View all my reviews

No comments: