Sunday, February 05, 2023

Review: The War for the Seas: A Maritime History of World War II

The War for the Seas: A Maritime History of World War II The War for the Seas: A Maritime History of World War II by Evan Mawdsley
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I stumbled into this book, scrolling through the e-book offerings on my local library's borrowing app. I feel a bit of a nostalgia for the topic because I was deeply, deeply obsessed with World War II naval history since I encountered Grenfall's book on the Hunt for the Bismark back when I was in Grade 5 or something. So, suffice it to say, I've read a few books on the subject. But, as things do, I had rather lost touch with the subject, so this book made me want to see what was current these days in WWII naval history. And I'm glad i did.

Mawdsley's book is a really good history of the full scope of the war. And I mean full. He doesn't just focus on Britain vs Germany and the US vs Japan, as most writers do, but he also discusses what happened to the French and Italians and, even more rarely, the Russians. He writes both using interesting anecdotes, but also in carefully considered analysis. The result is a book whose breadth satisfies the desire for the big picture, with all the drama of the actions fought. He considers the great controversies, giving the fresh looks that have now available as archives open up and more and more ships are re-discovered where they sank. The result is a comprehensive and thoughtful volume which is very much worth reading.

This book really is a good starting point for someone considering the subject for the first time or for someone who wants to see where we are in the study of the war. It manages that elusive goal of all historians- to be readable and accurate. And that makes it worth looking up.

View all my reviews

No comments: