Sunday, February 05, 2023

Review: In Praise of the Useless Life: A Monk’s Memoir

In Praise of the Useless Life: A Monk’s Memoir In Praise of the Useless Life: A Monk’s Memoir by Paul Quenon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I decided to have read this book because of another book, which often happens. Back in the spring, I read Quenon's book, co-written with Judith Valente, How To be, which is a book of letters between Valente, a well-known journalist and Benedictine oblate, and Quenon, a similarly well-known Trappist monk and poet (which I've also reviewed). This book intrigued me because I wanted to learn more about Quenon.

The first thing I have to say about this book is don't expect a linear narrative. Quenon's approach is reflective, so, while I think it roughly follows a chronology, it is hard to tell. He does talk a lot about Thomas Merton, for those of you who, like me, are interested in that and a fair a bit about the Abbey of Gethsemani. But he also talks much about his encounters with nature and with others. The book is a bit diffuse, but rewarding if read reflectively.

What I enjoyed about Quenon's memoir was just the reflective tone which evoked the place he was writing in. It is idiosyncratic and occasionally bewildering, but that is rather the charm of reading it. It is, ultimately, restful and that isn't something one can say about a lot of books.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Weekend Fisher said...

A restful book -- it just distinguished itself.

Take care and God bless
Anne / WF