Monday, February 20, 2023

Review: The Mighty Hood: The Life & Death of the Royal Navy's Proudest Ship

The Mighty Hood: The Life & Death of the Royal Navy's Proudest Ship The Mighty Hood: The Life & Death of the Royal Navy's Proudest Ship by Ernle Bradford
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I ran into this book, while skimming books in my library app. I've always been fascinated by the Bismarck episode, so a book on the Hood was interesting to me. And this is a good book. It gives really a really vivid sense of what it was like to be on the Hood when it was first constructed and in its last years during World War II. The eyewitness account are interesting and the book is well-written.

But two concerns.

First, I was partly interested in this book because I was interested in the full history of the ship. And I got a lot of what I was interested in, but there is a curious gap in the early 1930s, which I found disappointing and distracting. In particular, I was interested in how the Hood's crew experienced the Invergordon mutiny in 1931, but there really is nothing here. That is, admittedly, a depressing subject, but it is part of the history and I wish some discussion was done on that.

Second, the overall tone is pretty patriotic. Harder questions could be asked, but really Bradford goes rather easy on the British Navy. That's a liability in this kind of writing, but just noting it here.

This book is still a good book to read and I think those interested in World War II naval history would find it an entertaining and interesting book to follow up on.

View all my reviews

No comments: