Sunday, December 12, 2021

Review: Spirit, Soul, Body: Toward an Integral Christian Spirituality

Spirit, Soul, Body: Toward an Integral Christian Spirituality Spirit, Soul, Body: Toward an Integral Christian Spirituality by Cyprian Consiglio
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this book up because I've seen the author, who is the Prior of New Camaldoli Hermitage in California, on several YouTube videos which I have found really helpful. I'm glad I did, although I have to admit that this has not been an easy read by any stretch of the imagination. However, it has been worthwhile, I think.

So, this book's main focus is to set out the case for a non-dualist understanding of the Christian faith- one that sees no division between body and soul, and, for that matter, spirit. The author uses Christian texts, to be sure, but also weaves in his extensive knowledge of Eastern, especially Hindu and Buddhist, thinking, often mediated through the work of Bede Griffiths. If that sounds like a lot, it is. I was drawn to this approach because I'm not especially acquainted with the Eastern sources or Bede Griffiths, but was interested to see how they might intersect. I'm not sure I actually understand all that I've read about these traditions because my lack of a background meant that some of the denser passages were rather heavy going.

I'm not sure that I have especially incisive things to say beyond this. I really struggled with understanding large parts of this book, but I put that down to lack of exposure to many of the ideas and concepts discussed therein. I know I had to go back and re-read chapters to make sure I actually understood that. That was particularly true of the passages dealing with Eastern ideas, but really I found the overall vision enticing. I still would recommend the book because its vision of combined contemplation and action, body, soul and spirit is something that I think Christians need to take head of.

View all my reviews

No comments: