Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Review: Augustine of Hippo: A Biography

Augustine of Hippo: A Biography Augustine of Hippo: A Biography by Peter R.L. Brown
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is one of the classic biographies on Augustine of Hippo by one of the great scholars of the last generation, Peter Brown. It is also a re-read for me because I had to read this book as part of a course on Mediaeval History, which I unofficial termed 'Beginnings Intensive Augustine' because we read the Confessions, City of God and this biography in one term. So, twenty years later, I thought I'd go back and see how Peter Brown has faired.

Well, he faired not badly. Not that that is a surprise. Peter Brown is a superb scholar and will always be worth reading. He , along with others, spearheaded a revival of interest in Late Antiquity and Early Middle Ages in the 1970s and 80s. And he's written several classic monographs, this one included. If you're interested in Augustinian studies, you'll probably want to read this one sooner or later.

That said, I have to admit that I also think that this book is showing its age a bit, in much the same way that Ronald Syme's Roman Revolution was in the 90s when I read it. The occasional intrusion of Cold War political categories can be distracting, even when we recognize that, at the time, it was topical. That's a minor point, of course- nothing ages easier than contemporary references. It doesn't invalidate the work.

I also have to admit that I think Brown's views on Augustine shift as Augustine ages. He pretty clearly likes the young Augustine, struggling with philosophy and belief, sympathizes, but is wary of the middle-aged Augustine and positively dislikes the elderly Augustine (especially of the Pelagian controversy). That is a common take on Augustine, so he comes by it honestly, although it is one that I'm wary of. The Pelagians and their talk of personal responsibility and dismissal of primal sin are congenial to our modern and post-modern ears. I do think that that we tend to ignore the dark side of this Pelagian theology, that it is terribly perfectionistic because, if you're sinning, well, you'd better just smarten up and pull up your spiritual bootstraps. That is also a pretty modernist way of thinking of things, but I'm not sure if it is especially helpful to those who may be struggling in their faith. But that is neither here nor there for this review.

Of course, if you're interested in Augustine, you should read this book. It is one of the best treatments of him. So, go, read it.

View all my reviews

No comments: