Monday, February 23, 2009

Sulpicius Severus, Life of St. Martin. The Complete Story and Future Directions

As promised, here are the links to the various sections of the Life of St. Martin.

Preface
1 15
2 16
3 17
4 18
5 19
6 20
7 21
8 22
9 23
10 24
11 25
12 26
13 27
14

Future Directions:

Really, completing this translation is really only the first stage in a process which I hope will produce a useful translation. I originally started this translation series with the hope in mind that I would be able to work it up to offer as a gift to two of my parish churches which share the same name: St. Martin-in-the-Fields, West Toronto and St. Martin-in-the-Fields, London (Ontario). What I need to do right now is to go back over the translation with the text at hand and edit it some more so it reads better. I have a tendency to translate rather too literally, so I definitely have to smooth out the translation. More editing is necessary, mind you, and introductory material is needed. So, there is more work.

As for other translation activities, my next step is to work my way through The Patristic Greek Reader by Rodney Whitacre which I just bought last week. I think I'll do an extended review of this work as I work my way through it.

So, there will be more translation work in my future, so stay tuned.

Peace,
Phil

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on completing this work. It must be rewording.

JimB said...

Congrats!

It always feels good to reach a goal. Your further goals are worthy of the effort.

I am still trying to decide what I think of Severus's work. I thank you for the challenge.

FWIW
jimB

Phil Snider said...

Thanks all for the comments. I know I won't be able to get to the revision until after May, in all likelihood, so a bit of rest from it will make the editing easier.

Peace,
Phil