Saturday, February 02, 2008

Patristics Carnival VIII- January, 2008

February 11th edit: This is actually Patristics Carnival Eight, so I've corrected the header and a spelling error or two.

Welcome to the eighth incarnation of the Patristic Carnival. It has been rather a busy month, so I hope you enjoy the offerings.

New Attractions:

Two excellent new blogs have emerged in the patristiblogging section of blogsphere. Ora et labora, an Eastern Orthodox newcomer, and Archaic Christianity by Eric Sowell. Welcome aboard!

Front Gate: Introductions to the Fathers

Earthpages.ca offers a new entry on the Church Fathers. It is brief, but accurate.

rtjones on the Communal Feast blog puts a plug in for patristics.

The Midway: Articles on the Fathers

Mike Aquilina on The Way of the Fathers blog discusses how the Fathers would view our attitude to the unborn today and posts a translation of Pope Benedict's audience on St. Augustine.

sean on The Higher Ground blog features a discussion about the evolution of the Creeds. I'm not entirely sure where they're going with it, but they're not necessarily fans of the Trinitarian understanding of orthodox Christianity.

Steve on Triablogue discusses the (legendary) Alexandrian (Old Testament) canon, as part of an ongoing discussion on the topic.

Wyman Richardson on the Walking Together blog features summaries of patristic works including the letter of St. Clement to the Corinthians, St. Ignatius' letters to the Philippians, Ephesians, Magnesians, Trailians, the Romans, the Martyrdom of Polycarp, The Rodeo: Patristic catenae and the Letter to Diognetus. Whew, that is a lot of summarizing! These summaries are written from an evangelial (Baptist) point of view and are excellent work!

Eric Sowell on the Archaic Christianity blog reflects St. Ignatius' Letter to the Ephesians in three parts (one, two, three)

New patristiblogger, Felix Culpa, on the Ora et Labora blog has a good start with several patristic posts including a summary of the seven ecumenical councils a very clear and detailed introduction to patristic exegesis, translation tips for the prayer of Ephrem and considers contemplation and balance in light of Sts. Athanasius and Cyril.

Ian on the Ruminations by the Lake blog posts his thesis proposal on Augustine's letter to Sixtus and the monks at Hadramentum.

Benedict Seraphim on the This Is Life!: Revolutions Around the Cruciform Axis blog reflects on St. Gregory Palamas' Dialogue VI. Added Feb. 5: It seems I messed up this reference and mis-attributed this entry to St. Gregory the Great (who, also, I think, had Dialogues.

Derek on the star light blog discusses St. Maximus' treatment of the hardening of the Pharoah's heart in Exodus.
Rob Bradshaw on the Earlychurch.org blog posts a series of PDF scholarly articles on the
soteriology in Alexandria, Clement Ignatius and Hermas, Victorinus on Revelation, the canon of Scripture, signs and wonders in the early catholic church, St. Augustine and creation, St. Augustine, Origen and allegory, patristic views of Hell, a PhD. thesis on patristic eschatology and a book on Tertullian by Gerald Bray now online.

Weekend Fisher on the Heart, Mind, Soul and Strength blog reflects on the series of books trying to emphasize the pagan origin of Christianity.

Philip Harland on the Religions of the Ancient Mediterranean blog had an excellent two articles on Marcion dealing with ethnographic stereotypes of Marcion and Marcion's concept of God.

Roger Pearse on the Thoughts on Antiquity blog muses over his project of translating Eusebius of Caesarea and the difficulty of knowing when scholarly brands have been applied.

Added Feb 5: Danny Garland from the Irish-Catholic and Dangerous blog had a paper on the Church Fathers' Marian interpretation of the Old Testament. Congrats on the publication, Danny!

Exhibition Place: Biographies of the Fathers

The Friar on the Reason and Revelation blog features an excellent biography of St. Gregory of Nazianzus. and St. Cyril and Athanasius.


The Marketplace: Book Reviews

reformedreader on The Reformed Reader offers a few reflections on St. Cyril's commentary on John.

Ben Arbour on the Believing Jesus blog features a book review of Christopher Hall's Reading Scripture through the Church Fathers (which was a tremendously influential book for me, since it had started me off in the wonderful world of patristics.)

Matthew Burgess on the Confessions of Biblical Junkie blog passes on an announcement from Fortress about a new collection of essays on St. Justin Martyr.

On this blog, I review D.H. William's Evangelicals and Tradition.

The Foreign Exchange Tent: Translations

On this blog, I continue my translation series on Sulpicius Severus' Life of St. Martin 17.

The Apocryphal Aisle: Christian Apocrypha

April DeConick on The Forbidden Gospel blog features a series of responses to Marvin Meyer on the Thirteenth Daimon in the Gospel of Judas (one, two, three, four, four.one, four.two, five, six, seven)

I hope you enjoy these entries! Keep an eye out for Patristics Carnival IX at a to-be-announced location.

Peace,
Phil

12 comments:

Felix Culpa said...

This is a fantastically helpful post, and I'm very grateful for your kind mention of my new blog. I had no idea I was in such good company!

Benedict Seraphim said...

Phil:

Just a slight correction. The Dialogue is from St. Gregory Palamas' Dialogue between an Orthodox and a Barlaamite, not the other, and more famous, St. Gregory the Great's Dialogues.

I can see the nature of the misunderstanding, however.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to add to the arsenal of those anti-Trinitarians but they don't even mention the earlier forms of the Apostle's Creed.

I have in mind to post something about that soon - but you wont like mine much more than theirs ;) Nice carnival, I'll have my work cut out for me this month.

Phil Snider said...

felix;

Thanks and thanks for your messages. I intend to get you onto my blogroll this week as well.

Benedict;

Now, that is an embaressing mistake. I'll get a correction on the Carnival tomorrow. There are far too many Gregory's in Patristics and, then, you have to add Byzantines. Yikes!

Tim;

I look forward to your post. I might surprise you as far as your post. I am rather catholic, you know.

I'll post on the future carnival this week as well, but thanks in advance for hosting.

Peace,
Phil

Unknown said...

Hey Phil,
I know I didn't submit this to the Carnival (I'm never good at dealines), but I wanted to point to a paper of mine that was published in January, which I pointed to on my blog. It is on the Church Father's Marian interpretation of the OT:

http://www.motherofallpeoples.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1212&Itemid=80

God Bless!

Unknown said...

that "deadlines", not "dealines". Apparently I'm not good at spelling either...

Felix Culpa said...

Since I'm new to all this, could you please explain how these carnivals work?

And thanks for honoring me with a place on your blogroll!

Phil Snider said...

Danny;

Righto! I'll add that in today.

felix culpa;

Blog carnivals are basically a recap of blog entires dealing with a specific topic or area of study which are collected and published to keep anyone interested in those subjects aware of what has been done for that month or quarter or whatever time period the founder of the carnival wants.

The Patristic Carnival first appeared in December of 2006, but there was six months when I was doing weekly updates. What with a new son and the increase in volume, I reverted to a monthly format in August, 2007 which we've retained since. I'll be posting the announcement for the next carnival in the next day or so, so there will be reference to the rules and regulations for the carnival on that post.

Peace,
Phil

Wyman Richardson said...

I'm grateful for the plug of my Patristic Summaries series. I am, to put it midly, a novice, and what I'm doing probably isn't fit for reading, but I am seeking to learn more and to think aloud as I go. A new page has been created here on the Walking Together Ministries site for this series: http://www.walkingtogetherministries.org/Resources/PatristicSummaries/tabid/69/Default.aspx

(The order is a bit off right now but will be fixed soon.)

Again, many thanks!

Wyman Richardson

Wyman Richardson said...

Alright, it cut my link in half.

If anybody's interested, you just go to www.walkingtogetherministries.com

Then click "Resources" and choose "Patristic Summaries"

Anonymous said...

Well I certainly didn't expect to make it into a carnival, especially when I'm such a newbie to patristics myself. But I'm certainly willing to invite people through the front door with me. Thanks for the link.

Phil Snider said...

Thanks Roger. I must have had half my brain removed when I did this carnival!

Peace,
Phil