Saturday, December 30, 2023

Review: Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption

Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book has taken a surprisingly long time for me to get around to reading, given just how much I enjoy the movie Shawshank Redemption (one of my favourite movies!). But I kept forgetting about it until a student decided to read it for an independent novel project this year in one of my English classes. So, I thought it was a good opportunity to read it. Of course, some of what comes below will be informed my better understanding of the movie, but I'll try to give the book its due.

Fundamentally, the plot of the book is the same as the movie. Yes, the wardens are compressed into one. Yes, there are adjustments to the plot to intensify the 'Robin Hood' aspect of Andy Dufresne's financing efforts, but, fundamentally, the story remains the same. And that is the story, told by a fellow inmate, of Andy Dufresne, wrongly convicted of murdering his wife and her lover and imprisoned in Shawshank Prison for almost thirty years before his almost miraculous escape. It is a meditation of guilty/innocence, freedom and how to live with integrity in a moral cesspool. The centre of the book is always Andy, as told through his relationship with the narrator, Red.

This is really a lovely book. Don't get me wrong. It's brutal in parts, as one would expect of a prison book. The discussion of prison rapes and solitary confinement make that brutality very clear. But, ultimately, it is a book about hope, which is probably why I love it and the movie so much.

View all my reviews

No comments: