Saturday, December 30, 2023

Review: Braided Learning: Illuminating Indigenous Presence through Art and Story

Braided Learning: Illuminating Indigenous Presence through Art and Story Braided Learning: Illuminating Indigenous Presence through Art and Story by Susan D. Dion
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book was loaned to me by a colleague as a kind of introduction to considering how to include indigenous voices into the high school classroom. It is an development of Dion's Braided Histories, which tells the stories of indigenous peoples in Canada. This book includes some of the stories, but also includes indigenous art pieces and a really useful consideration of how education fits into the efforts to bring out the indigenous voice in Canada.

I found the book really helpful in my efforts to improve my understanding of indigenous voices, so I would recommend it on that basis. Dion spends the time to explain the complexity of those voices, which is helpful for those of us who are on the outside. The fact is that, like most other communities, there is no uniform indigenous voice, so we have to ready to embrace that complexity. And Dion helps us on that journey.

View all my reviews

No comments: