Friday, July 28, 2023

Review: The Space Between Us: Conversations About Transforming Conflict

The Space Between Us: Conversations About Transforming Conflict The Space Between Us: Conversations About Transforming Conflict by Betty Pries
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have to admit that I love this book. I don't say that very often, but this is an excellent book on how to deal with conflict, from a mediator with a contemplative bent. So, I know, given my reading list, probably not surprising that I'm so enthusiastic about this book.

What I love about this book is that it isn't just a list of types and typologies, as so many of these books so often are and which can come off as how to manipulate everyone into a peace, which isn't especially peaceful. What Pries offers is an approach which looks at disagreements and conflicts as a chance to reflect on the kinds of relationships and commitments we take on and how we can learn from the conflicts which can so easily breakout even among those approaching each other in good will. She considers conflict theory, but infuses mindfulness and contemplative spirituality to help us monitor the inner landscape of us in conflict. It offers a truly human-sized way of approach conflict.

The tone of the book is both reflective and hopeful in a way that one doesn't find all the time. Pries is compassionate, even with the most difficult conflict, and really lives out the hope that conflict can lead to greater insights into ourselves and our relationships. I love that vision and I'm sure I'll be re-reading this book in the near future.

View all my reviews

No comments: