Friday, July 28, 2023

Review: How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States

How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States by Daniel Immerwahr
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a superb book! Now, anyone who regularly reads my reviews knows that I like a good title, so I'm not ashamed to say that it was the title which was the hook for me. I mean, I took American history in school, but it isn't a major focus for me, but I was interested in this attempt to look at American imperialism, which is tricky subject, given that the Americans spend so much time denying their imperialism.

Immerwahr's approach is an interesting one, focusing primarily on how the Americans acquired an empire after the Spanish-American War and how they did their best to pretend they didn't. It follows that particular trick of the collective mind by tracking American relationship with their 'empire' right up to 9/11. Immerwahr's analysis is insightful, but the best sections are when he considers the creation of the pointalist empire of the post-World War II era, where the focus shifted from the acquisition of resources from colonies, to the creation of bases to safeguard American interests. Immerwahr makes the really interesting and convincing argument that it was the development of synthetics for many necessary items for industrialisation, which made this approach possible. Less depending on rubber or other natural products in Asia/Africa, the US was able to pursue de-colonization for itself and push it allies into following suit, while also maintaining an empire, which it could still deny.

Immerwahr is preceptive and a really wonderful story-teller/writer. He's well worth reading.

View all my reviews

No comments: