Friday, July 22, 2022

Review: The Privilege of Love: Camaldolese Benedictine Spirituality

The Privilege of Love: Camaldolese Benedictine Spirituality The Privilege of Love: Camaldolese Benedictine Spirituality by Peter-Damian Belisle
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I picked this up, largely because I've been watching talks from the New Camaldoli Hermitage over Youtube over the last few years and this book kept getting referred to as the starting point of Camaldolese spirituality. And, since I really found that spirituality helpful for me, I thought this was worth getting.

This is, of course, a collection of essays on Camaldolese history, practice and theology by several authors, ranging from monks from the various communities to oblates and friends. All in English, they draw on the thousand year history of the Camaldolese communities, which, even among the rather de-centralized Benedictines, seem unusually diverse in approach. I found the essays helpful in understanding some of the confusing elements of Camaldolese monasticism and really enjoyed learning about them.

Like any collection, the essays are a wide range of styles and approaches. Some are pretty broad and give good background and context, others are much more specialized. But the volume is worth reading for those interested in Benedictine monasticism and the Camaldolese in particular.

View all my reviews

No comments: