Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Review: How to Be: A Monk and a Journalist Reflect on Living Dying, Purpose Prayer, Forgiveness Friendship

How to Be: A Monk and a Journalist Reflect on Living  Dying, Purpose  Prayer, Forgiveness  Friendship How to Be: A Monk and a Journalist Reflect on Living Dying, Purpose Prayer, Forgiveness Friendship by Judith Valente
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was rather slow to pick up this book, considering that I motored through the Valente's other two books in the spring, and I'm not entirely sure why. So, I decided a couple of weeks ago to pick it up and I'm glad I did. This is written in the form of letters between Valente and Paul Quinon, a monk at Gethsemani Abbey in Kentucky. They are set just before the outbreak of the pandemic and in the early stages, and reflect on life, vocation and so much more.

The letters are really quite lovely. They show great vulnerability and honesty and really resonated with much of my own experience over the last few years. I enjoyed their reflection and the genuine kindness in the correspondance. They take up each of the writer's daily struggles and reflect, really reflect on what those struggles mean. And I find that an irresistible combination.

I read these slowly, I'll note. I think that really is the best way. Read a couple at a time and take time to reflect on how it fits your life. You won't regret it .

View all my reviews

No comments: