Saturday, August 31, 2024

Review: Why Indigenous Literatures Matter

Why Indigenous Literatures Matter Why Indigenous Literatures Matter by Daniel Heath Justice
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book was an early purchase, just as the school year was ending in June, because I knew I would be teaching an Indigenous literatures course this fall (i.e. in a few days!). This book kept being mentioned as a must read and, now that I've read it, I definitely understand why. It is the product of wide and thoughtful reading in the complex and vibrant world of Indigenous writing. While I was not familiar with more than a few texts, this book made me want to read more and to explore aspects of Indigenous writing that I didn't realize was out there. It serves an accessible introduction to this neglected, but fascinating field without over-simplifying or confusing.

What I loved about this book is that it really isn't just about books, it's about the stories that we tell, which, as the introduction asserts, can heal or harm. This book doesn't shrink from the difficult stories that Indigenous people tell nor about the difficult realities that Indigenous people have faced and do face as they navigate a world imposed on them by colonization. But it also talks about how a resurgence is beginning to take hold among Indigenous peoples, which are producing unique and valuable literatures. He groups his discussion around four main questions: HOw do we learn to be Human? HOw do we behave as Good Relatives? How do we become Good Ancestors? How do we Learn to Live Together? before going on to a quite personal chapter of reading in the ruptures and his ulti mate conclusion.

If you are interested in examining these literatures, this is a crucial starting point. I can't recommend it enough.

View all my reviews

No comments: