Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Review: The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han

The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han The Early Chinese Empires: Qin and Han by Mark Edward Lewis
My rating: 0 of 5 stars

I got this book because I was looking for a fairly comprehensive took on early China, as a way to expand my knowledge of the ancient world away from my familiar Graeco-Roman world. So I found this book which is the first of a series on Chinese history.

I enjoyed this book very much, although I did occasionally struggle to keep the period straight in my head. That is, of course, a sign of my unfamiliarity of the narrative of Chinese history, but was remedied by just going back and making sure I understood the sweep of the Qin and Han dynasties (well, add the Zhou as well). The structure is by topic, so the narrative is understood.

The result is a fascinating exploration of the politics, society and culture of ancient China, which really filled out a lot of what I didn't understand in my previous forays into Chinese history. As an introduction, this book is really quite excellent. It is clear and well supported by the sources. It is truly worth reading and I'm looking forward to starting the next in the series on the Tang dynasty.

View all my reviews

No comments: