Saturday, April 16, 2022

Review: Seven Last Words: An Invitation to a Deeper Friendship with Jesus

Seven Last Words: An Invitation to a Deeper Friendship with Jesus Seven Last Words: An Invitation to a Deeper Friendship with Jesus by James Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is another book that I read for a Christian Education series at church. It was a good choice, I must say, but, then, I really do like Father James Martin as a writer, so that was kind of a forgone conclusion. It is also an ideal Lent book, which is why we did it, with the added twist of getting some speakers to reflect on the words on their own as well.

This book originates in a series of reflections which Father Martin made on the Seven Last Words of Jesus Christ, during his crucifixion. The seven words (or sayings) are dispersed through Matthew, Luke and John as statements of Christ from the Cross. Martin reflects on them and applies them to various aspects of the Christian life. I know that that sounds pretty flat as a description, but the reflections are touching, occasionally funny and often profound. I appreciated Father Martin's insights and really enjoyed reading them.

This is a book to read slowly and reflectively. It is, as I said, ideal for Lent or Holy Week. And it is really quite short. Take your time with this and I think you'll see the benefits.

View all my reviews

No comments: