Wednesday, August 05, 2026

Review: The Prairie Chicken Dance Tour

The Prairie Chicken Dance Tour The Prairie Chicken Dance Tour by Dawn Dumont
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is another of the book club choices for my Indigenous literatures course, so I thought I should get around to reading it, even though that particular book club is over (next year, I have even more sections).

The novel itself is based (very loosely) on the tour of a group of Indigenous dancers to Europe in the 1970s. The book is really funny. I mean, laugh aloud in the middle of a scene, funny. But it is also a sensitive character study in the multiple perspective format that is getting more and more popular among many writers, Indigenous or not. I'm trying to avoid spoilers, but the book explores what it can mean to be reconciling one's Christian faith to the realities of residential school trauma, reconciling sexual orientation as well, as well as reflections on colonialism and European attitudes to Indigenous peoples. And Dumont does this, as I noted above, with humour and honesty .

All this makes a book well worth reading, whether for school or not.

View all my reviews

No comments: