Sunday, March 05, 2023

Review: The Florentines: From Dante to Galileo: The Transformation of Western Civilization

The Florentines: From Dante to Galileo: The Transformation of Western Civilization The Florentines: From Dante to Galileo: The Transformation of Western Civilization by Paul Strathern
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is another random find in my library app. I was looking for books on Italy in preparation for my impending Italy trip (March, 2023) and ran into this book. Since I was going to spend a couple of days in Florence, I thought knowing some of the history would be helpful.

Strathern's history of Florence is really well done. He manages to combine attention to the environment, politics and social setting with a vivid sense of the people who shaped Florence's history in the course of the 14th and 16th centuries. That was a tumultuous time, not only culturally amid the excitement of the Renaissance, but also politically, at a time when Italy's map was being re-made. Carefully researched and well explained, this book is an excellent introduction to Renaissance Florence.

So, if you're interested in the period or in Florence, this is a good entry point.

View all my reviews

No comments: