Sunday, May 15, 2022

Review: Monastery Mornings: My Unusual Boyhood Among the Saints and Monks

Monastery Mornings: My Unusual Boyhood Among the Saints and Monks Monastery Mornings: My Unusual Boyhood Among the Saints and Monks by Michael Patrick O'Brien
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I ran into this book because of a webinar that I attended with this author and Kathleen Norris, so, of course, I had to hunt the book up. The book itself is a memoir in which the author talks about his relationship with the monks of the Trappist monastery, Monastery of Our Lady of the Trinity, now closed. It follows the author as a boy as he struggles to make sense of the normal stresses of growing up, mingled with the aftermath of abuse and marriage breakdown in the 60s and 70s.

The book really is quite lovely. O'Brien evokes a different time and talks about this community with genuine love and gratitude. The result is something of a reflection on Benedictine hospitality and the good that it brings. The way that the community takes him and his family in really sparks healing. Nor is that healing limited to this family. The presence of this monastery in a very Morman area was initially viewed with suspicion, but the monks steadily changed the minds of their neighbours through their persistent peaceableness.

This is really worth reading, both as a memoir and as a reflection of the impact of Benedictine spirituality. While this monastery is closed, it's impact still seems to linger.

View all my reviews

No comments: