Sunday, June 12, 2011

This Week in Patristics June 5th-11th, 2011

Happy Pentecost! Welcome to the Pentecost edition of TWP. Pentecost is one of my favourite church festivals, partly because I was baptized on it, nineteen years ago and partly because of the Jewish tradition of associating 'learning' with the Jewish version. The first appeals to my spiritual history, the second to my general geekness. Perhaps we can revive the tradition of all-night 'learning for Christians....wouldn't that be fun?

David Bates on the Restless Pilgrim blog draws parallels between the death of Jesus and the martyrdom of Polycarp.

Alan Suciu on his self-named blog considers a new witness to St. Macarius of Egypt's Spiritual Homilies and more Coptic fragments of Ephrem Graecus.

Roger Pearse on his self-named blog lists the presentations on Eusebius of Caesarea from the last three years of SBL conferences.

Kevin Edgecomb on the biblicalia blog considers the rule of faith and canonicity from an Orthodox perspective.

Rod of Alexandria on the Political Jesus blog considers Elizabeth Johnson's book, The Quest for the Living God as akin to St. Athanasius' work. Since I haven't rad Elizabeth's Johnson's book, I'm not sure I get that, but when has that stopped me from posting.

That is it for this week. See you next week!

Peace,
Phil

No comments: