Saturday, March 12, 2022

Review: Twelve Ordinary Men

Twelve Ordinary Men Twelve Ordinary Men by John F. MacArthur Jr.
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read this book as part of a men's group I belong to. I must admit that I was a little nervous about it when we starting, knowing MacArthur's reputation. I have to admit that that nervousness was rather justified.

This book is a compilation of a couple versions of sermon series on the lives of the twelve apostles. Now, as anyone who has some acquaintance with the Bible will quickly realise, that isn't necessarily an easy prospect. Some apostles are mentioned a lot in the Bible, so sketching their character isn't that difficult. Some, well, are hardly mentioned past the lists of apostles in each of the Gospels. MacArthur solves this by grouping the apostles at times and sometimes by extrapolating from the admittedly scanty information we have. The result is certainly a lively piece of writing which is highly readable and often helpful.

Yet, this book left a lot of sour notes for me. MacArthur does play a little fast and loose with the Biblial accounts at times, and especially in his deployment of Greek words to support his argument. That is subtle, but can lead to some false conclusions. In addition, there is very much a Christian self-help on manhood vibe under some of these biographies, which can get a bit frustrating because it very much feels forced a lot of the time.

I'm not sure I would recommend this book, without a lot of caveats. While readable, I'm not sure I trust its readings a lot of the time.

View all my reviews

No comments: