Tuesday, January 11, 2022

Review: Day by Day with Saint Benedict

Day by Day with Saint Benedict Day by Day with Saint Benedict by Terrence G. Kardong
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I picked this up just over a year ago and decided to use it as part of my daily spiritual routine each day for 2021. It is, as one suggests, a setting of readings organized daily throughout the year. The readings, equally obviously, are drawn from the Rule of Benedict, the handbook of monastic life. The excerpts are arranged by Father Terrence Kardong, of Assumption Abbey in North Dakota, who was a noted expert in the Rule of Benedict and Benedictine monk, who passed away recently.

The excerpts are arranged for each day and followed by some commentary on the day's excerpt, written by Father Kardong. The commentary ranges from giving background, connections to the monastic context and sometimes stories involving the principle at the time. They aren't arranged in the sequence they occur in the Rule. In fact, I'm not sure if I quite understand how they are organized. That could get a bit confusing at times, even for someone, like me, who is moderately familiar with the Rule.

I found it a helpful resource most days, but occasionally verging on abstruse or downright unclear. The stories are often amusing, but sometimes not clear about what their point is. There is much that is useful in this book, so it is definitely worth reading, but the organization can sometimes fight the final result.

View all my reviews

No comments: